Friday, January 30, 2009

Sweetheart

Howard Schultz is taking a salary cut everyone. Stop the presses, close schools, alert the freaking media. Oh, wait, we've already done all that. Our fearless Starbucks leader will be working for a measly $10,000 in 2009. What's a CEO/International mogul to do?! Wait, I know. Sleep with the ten million dollars you made last year under your pillow Ho-Scho, and all those pesky nightmares of lower/working class life will instantly disappear. Booking a flight to the Bahamas on your private jet = Plan B.

Even when we're closing 200 U.S. stores, and firing tons of the corporate crew, S-Bux still manages to put together a decent compilation. They say the coffeehouse must go on. Just in time for V-Day, Starbucks has released it's annual sugar-free audio treat Sweetheart, which is this year, surprisingly tasty. (Editor's note: sugar-free sucks. I will make a face at you if you order that chemical-filled, aspartame-enhanced drugfest from me.) She & Him, DeVotchka, Death Cab, A.C. Newman, Ben Bridwell and others cover their favorite love songs and all I can do is just smile. Even Katy Perry couldn't suck this CD up.


Track Listing
01. Death Cab for Cutie - Love Song (The Cure Cover)
02. Katy Perry - Black and Gold (Sam Sparro Cover)
03. DeVotchka - Hot Burrito # 1 [I'm Your Toy] (Flying Burrito Brothers Cover)
05. Jessica Lee Mayfield - Words of Love (Buddy Holly Cover)
06. Ben Bridwell - Your Love is Forever (George Harrison Cover)
07. Kate Tucker - I'm On Fire (Bruce Springsteen Cover)
08. Rogue Wave - Maps (Yeah Yeah Yeahs Cover)
10. Jem - Yellow (Coldplay Cover)
11. Richard Hawley - Early Morning Rain (Gordon Lightfoot Cover)
12. Daniel Martin Moore - I Hear Music (Billie Holiday Cover)
14. Lila Downs - My One and Only Love (Frank Sinatra Cover)

Death Cab fans, you might already have a copy of "Love Song," but not this quality. Ben seemed pretty excited about it's formal release. Rogue Wave's choice was definitely ambitious. Although they can't touch the haunting vocal magic of Karen O., their effort is certainly admirable. 

As for my favorites, I have to give it up for my man A.C., who continues his lighthearted/I-don't-take-everything-indie-so-seriously approach by picking an awesomely bad eighties song to re-record. We all know I'm IN LOVE with Ben Bridwell, so of course "Your Love is Forever" resonates. And Department of Eagles/Grizzly Bear genius Daniel Rossen certainly has me calling on cupid (I'm totally bias after seeing him in concert this week). Finally, Zooey D kills it with "I Put a Spell on You". Much like Jay's original, it's all about the unnerving vocal power. You might think you're listening to a'capella. Anyone else hoping that when she and Ben Gibbard get married they will form the ultimate indie-rock alliance and just record kickass demos out of their basement? A girl can dream...

Peace, Love, and Full of REAL Sugar Valentines,
LTK 

No comments: