Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Movie Script Ending

I'm not sure if Michael Cera has been as inescapable for you as he has been for me lately. And yes, before you ask it is more than the usual stalking. It's not just my obsession with George Michael Bluth and every other awkward character he plays, it's all thanks to that one movie. Is a name plug even necessary? Let's be honest those commercials are either way too emo or way too disney depending on the day. I thought I was immature enough to handle it, I really did. I mean I am LOVING Gossip Girl. OMG. But I guess I've grown out of the 14-18 yr old teenage girl demographic that they are marketing this completely predictable cutesy flash in the pan to. If it didn't have reasonably great music, held together by the talented eye of Devo mastermind Mark Mothersbaugh, made ever more appealing by a brand new Vamp Weekend track, I might not pay attention to the movie in the first place. Except for that pesky Michael Cera. Why does he have to be so darn put-on-Pedro-the-Lion-cute?

Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist Soundtrack

01. Chris Bell: "Speed of Sound"
Fans of Big Star may not even remember co-founder Chris Bell. Unfortunately, while Alex Chilton rose to rock god status, Bell was largely forgotten. Bell died in a car accident before he could see most of his own material released

02. Devendra Banhart: "Lover" [ysi]
03. Bishop Allen: "Middle Management" [ysi]
You might recognize this one from all the friggin previews... I love B Allen cause they make me occasionally forget that The Kinks are no more. Charm School is a far superior album, but Broken String sure has proven its commercial appeal

04. Vampire Weekend: "Ottoman"
05. The Dead 60s: "Riot Radio" [ysi]
06. Takka Takka: "Fever"
07. The Submarines: "Xavia"
08. We Are Scientists: "After Hours" [ysi]
I can fall in and out of love with WAS. But 'After Hours' is a solid choice. Makes me think of end of summer nights in high school: "Time Means Nothing..."

09. Band of Horses: "Our Swords" [ysi]
Cease to Begin saved my life last year, so I was sad producers didn't pick a track from that album, but Everything All The Time is equally five star worthy

10. Army Navy: "Silvery Sleds"
Friends of Ben Gibbard. Thats all I need to know to love them already...

11. Richard Hawley: "Baby, You're My Light"
12. Shout Out Louds: "Very Loud" [ysi]
13. Paul Tiernan: "How to Say Goodbye"
14. The Real Tuesday Weld: "Last Words"
15. Mark Mothersbaugh - "Nick and Nora's Theme"

Soundtrack hits stores September 23

No comments: