Monday, December 3, 2007

Mischief: A Case of the Mondays Mixtape

I've been feeling especially mischievous this week. Perhaps its the lack of sleep induced by impending finals. Much more likely is the possibility that at heart I'm a blackened criminal; I like Grand Theft Auto too much. If it weren't for communal shower time, and the inevitable presence of one or two "Big Bertha" types, my alter-ego would have me in prison right now. For committing some kind of elaborate heist I think - black market art or something sexy like that. I could never be a violent offender see, I have enough trouble wielding my gun on Halo 2. And the only confrontation I like is between Peanut Butter and Jelly on my lunchtime sandwich.

Mischief has slapped me in the face this week harder than that guy from Real World Seattle. And I'm not complaining. Its been a tremendously helpful form of procrastination. I've been getting tired of plain old complacency and indifference to my schoolwork - now at least I can stir up a little trouble in the process. Small time of course; PG-13 pranks. I told you I wasn't dying to go to prison - I'd have to take up smoking just so I could fit in with the right gang. And we all know prison tattoos would look bad with my complexion. To tide me over until i can get to those Class A Felonies, heres the mischief-inspired COTM mixtape.

Case of the Mondays Mixtape V.1Shampoo - Trouble

The Virgins - One Week of Danger

Peter Bjorn and John - Let's Call it Off (Girl Talk Remix)

Gorillaz -Every Planet We Reach is Dead

Louis XIV - Me Me Me Me

Har Mar Superstar - Cut Me Up

Acute - Trouble

Beastie Boys - It Takes Time to Build

M.I.A. ft. Timbaland - Come Around

Tokyo Police Club - Be Good

The Roots - You Got Me

In other news, I spent an impressive 2 hours searching for a classical song yesterday - after hearing it used as background music in the trailer for the 2008 US remake of the critically-acclaimed Austrian thriller "Funny Games," directed by the legendary Michael Haneke. Although I have yet to see the original, I am SO excited for the frame-for-frame remake of the 1997 hit. The synopsis explains, "a vacationing family gets an unexpected visit from two deeply disturbed young men. Their idyllic holiday turns nightmarish as they are subjected to unimaginable terrors and struggle to stay alive." The film is a take on the dangers of stylized violence portrayed in the media. Writer/Directer Haneke hopes to shock and disturb by presenting the audience as an accomplice the to senseless acts of violence committed by the movie's villains. The main characters even speak directly to the camera at certain points in the movie, winking at us, and are able to manipulate events by "rewinding" one sequence. I encourage everyone to see this one when it hits next year. Its got all the art house appeal with the mainstream add-in: pretty people! Lydia is in love with Michael Pitt so you can count on her to be hiding out in the theater like the Metropolitan Museum of Art.


Funny Games US Trailer


In terms of concert news, The Glass House here in Pomona has finally announced that Pinback is coming!! For Lydia, who falls asleep with her copy of Summer In Abaddon under her pillow still, this is better than the invention of Reese's peanut butter cups and birth control rolled into one. Hopefully you losers won't force me to go by myself - in that case I'll have to get smashed and make inappropriate advances on all men within a two block radius. Which I guess isn't such a bad thing after all; booze, boys, and badass music. What more could a girl want?

Heres the details. Go get you some tix!

Thursday, Feb 7
Pinback, MC Chris
7:00 PM $20.00 - Tickets on sale Saturday, Dec 1 at 12 PM.

VISIT>> www.pinback.com
TICKETS>> www.ticketmaster.com

Bonus Track: Pinback - Bloods on Fire

Soundtrack plugs will come later this week, as promised. I'm up to no good right now, and thats just plain time consuming.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Aw man, if I was here in February I would definitely go see Pinback with you!!